Quality Manager required for Leading Packaging Firm
- Greater Knoxville, TN Area
About the Role:
A packaging company is seeking a Quality Manager to oversee the Quality program in one of their largest facilities for multi-state distribution. The company has a strong culture where employees treat each other like family, and they are looking for a manager who fits in perfectly with this environment. The Quality Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the company produces safe products that adhere to the highest and most consistent quality by overseeing various branded and private label production.
In addition to leading the Quality program, the Manager will assess operations and manage the implementation of corporate quality assurance policies and programs at the plant level. The Quality Manager will report directly to the Plant Manager and will have direct reports including Quality Leads, Techs, and Sanitation.
Responsibilities of the Quality Assurance Manager:
- Ensure that the production floor is operating according to quality standards.
- Quickly address any potential quality issues or customer complaints and conduct root-cause analysis to prevent future issues.
- Coach and mentor employees on quality best practices.
- Develop, implement, and maintain operational KPIs or scorecards to ensure quality standards are being met.
- Lead the implementation of the Food Safety Modernization Act at the plant.
- Implement and ensure compliance with corporate quality assurance programs to prevent beverage quality or safety issues at manufacturing facilities, which may include an offsite storage facility.
- Monitor finished product quality results to ensure compliance with corporate and customer specifications.
- Supervise the quality team (Leads, Techs, Sanitation).
- Develop the skills of direct reports and plant employees.
- Ensure that the plant is always audit- and inspection-ready.
- Identify and lead process improvement initiatives.
- Develop and document a complete HACCP and QACCP plan for the plant.
- Develop and maintain a specific QA/QC SOP manual for the plant.
- Implement appropriate controls, sample plans, hold/release system modifications, code rotation, batching and processing controls, and other production systems where problems might exist. Coordinate QA efforts with R&D and vice versa.
- Manage regulatory components within the assigned region, including process filings, water quality testing, unannounced inspections, and requirements associated with label compliance and net weight.
The Ideal Quality Manager will have:
- 2+ years Quality experience in a heavily regulated manufacturing environment required; food, beverage or packaging experience
- Experience working in a high-speed bottling environment a plus, but not required
- HACCP Certification
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent years' experience
- Supervisory experience a plus
- SQF or BRC certification a strong plus
- PCQI experience
- Experience with USDA and FDA audit schemes
- Servant leadership style
- Proven mentorship experience
- Internal or external auditing experience
- Ability to manage cross-functionally and drive support for Food Safety & Quality initiatives with all leaders in the facility